McKay Brothers, a dynamic, profitable, and rapidly growing provider of specialty telecom and financial market data, has an immediate contract-to-hire opening for a Technical Writer at the Company’s US headquarters in uptown Oakland, California.
We are seeking a seasoned Technical Writer to join our team in a specialized environment. We are looking for an individual with the ability to take technical documents and make them digestible. The ideal candidate will have the ability to grasp a wide range of technical disciplines and write software and hardware specifications as well as client facing documents. Experience with microwave engineering, software engineering, FPGAs, and market data desired. Comfort with mathematics and equations required. Industry experience not necessary. There may be an opportunity to convert to a direct employee pending the workload and success in the role.
Objectives of this Role
- Develop comprehensive documentation that meets organizational standards
- Obtain a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
- Write user-friendly content that meets the needs of the target audience, turning insights language that sets our users up for success
- Work with engineers to write clear and precise technical requirements and specifications that for internal and external projects.
- Develop and maintain detailed databases of appropriate reference materials, including research, usability tests, and design specifications
- Evaluate current content and develop innovative approaches for improvement
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation
- Work with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage
- Research, create, and maintain information architecture templates that uphold organizational and legal standards, and allow for easy data migration
- Develop content in alternative media forms for maximum usability, with a consistent and cohesive voice across all documentation
- Curate for both internal technical and corporate facing document libraries
- Long term goals to enhance our document libraries and to provide multiple formats and search capabilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
- 2-4 years’ industry experience as an effective technical writer
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics
- Previous experience writing documentation and procedural materials for multiple audiences
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Experience working with engineering to improve user experience: design and help refine content and create visuals and diagrams for technical support content
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization
- Firm understanding of the systems development life cycle (SDLC)
- Previous software development experience
- Certification through the Society for Technical Communicators
We wish to engage qualified candidates who are interested in a full-time role in uptown Oakland once our office is permitted to re-open safely. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
About McKay and its US affiliate: Quincy Data
McKay Brothers, LLC is the acknowledged leader in providing extremely low latency wireless networks for firms trading in financial markets. Many of the world’s most sophisticated trading operations utilize the near light speed networks that McKay designs, engineers, builds and operates. McKay launched its first US network in 2012, expanded to Europe in 2014, and Asia in 2016. Its Quincy Data affiliate sources and distributes real-time financial market data globally via McKay networks. Learn more at www.mckay-brothers.com and www.quincy-data.com.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit resumes in PDF form only
This role is not eligible for recruiter referral fees. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
McKay Brothers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.